December 2020: getting back to badminton
As we leave the national lockdown restrictions, some sports centres are re-opening which means it is possible to get back on court.
Tier 3 areas
Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire's Tier 3 status means that adult club play isn't permitted, but you can play singles or doubles with members of your own household and support bubble. Under 18s and disabled players can play in organised activity - i.e. at badminton clubs - and there is also an exemption for play in educational settings as a supervised activity. Please check the Badminton England website for guidance on how to run sessions safely.
Tier 2 areas
All the other areas in our region are in Tier 2. Badminton England has confirmed that the following is permitted under Tier 2 restrictions:
As individuals, you can book a court at a sports centre and play:
• singles with people from multiple households
• doubles with people from the same household
Clubs can run sessions for adults as follows:
• Players can play singles with anyone in attendance at the club night (i.e. they don't have to be part of your household or support bubble), ensuring that social distancing is maintained.
• Players can play doubles with people from their household against another pair from a different household.
• The maximum number of players should be determined by the total space available ensuring that social distancing is maintained, and interactions are limited.
• To help manage numbers and limit interactions you could run your session in the following ways (although this is not mandatory):
- A maximum of six players grouped together and allocated to a court. Players can play anyone within their group.
- Players are split in two groups and allocated to a side of the court; players can then move up and down the courts and play any player on the opposite side of the court.
As in Tier 3 areas, under 18s and disabled players can play in organised activity - i.e. at badminton clubs - and there is also an exemption for play in educational settings as a supervised activity. Please check the Badminton England website for guidance on how to run sessions safely.
Where you can play
A number of halls are open & taking court bookings in both tier 2 & tier 3 based on those rules in that area.
This list is not exhaustive and we would appreciate any feedback to add other venues to this list. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you know of any other halls open and taking badminton court bookings:
Kingsdown Sports Centre - book via app or 0117 903 1633 Easton Leisure Centre - book via app or 0117 955 8840 Ashton Park Sports Centre - book via https://schoolhire.co.uk/.../ashtonpark.../sports-hall/13439 Wellsway Sports Centre - book via email@example.com or 0117 916 1034 Henbury Leisure Centre - 0117 353 2555 St Pauls Community Sports Academy - 0117 377 3405 Gordano Sports Centre - https://gordanosportscentre.ezfacility.com/login... Thornbury Leisure Centre - 0300 333 0300 Bath University Sports Training Village - www.teambath.com/bookonline.